Csóromfölde is the highest point on the risel by Vigandpetend, a village in the Balaton Highlands Region in Hungary. The closest manor is Csórompuszta, place of previous Hellowood camps, only 500 meters from our building site.
We will inhabit the settlement of Csóromfölde for the 8th time. Lets live, eat, work, lecture, debate, party in our village together again.
HOW CAN I GET THERE?
Csóromfölde was established approximately in the 16th century, when the Choron Family took ownership of the land from Benedictine monks. In the 16th century the Choron family’s huszar troops fought frequent battles in the area against the South Western battalions of the Ottoman army. It has never become an independent village, remained a freehold farmstead until it was granted the hamlet status in 1757, when the aristocratic Esterházy family took over the ownership. The inhabitants were peasants and cottars, who cultivated crops, mostly barley and oat. They were Catholic Hungarians, but the hamlet never had a church or a chapel. The population reached its highest peak during the 1757 census, when they counted 68 adults and children.
In 1941, the last owner of Csórompuszta, Ladyship Margit Esterházy issued the parcelling of all the 270 acre estate and sold it at a reasonable rate for the smallholders of Kapolcs and Vigántpetend. Following the 50s’ collectivisation, the inhabitants moved out and the buildings started to decay. Moreover, the families who moved out, were offered to use the demolition material of Csóromfölde for their new building constructions. Over the years almost all the building materials have been taken off site and were reused. Currently we can only see the foundation stones of one former building.
The indigenous flora of the area is generic hardwood forest that mainly consists of Acorn and Ash trees. The underwood is thin on species, and is characterised by dry grass, mixed with planted wild rose shrubs. The native tree colonies got diversified with planted fast-growing species, such as Acacia trees, that currently characterise the flora. The main soil type of the area is loess, mixed with Brown Earth typical of the region. The bedrock is igneous.
BUILT REMAINS, TOPOGRAPHY
— foundation, base stones of one former dwelling, 60 cm tall— former well, used as burial place for animals after the 50s. (this is technically outside of our site, but used to be the symbol and pride of the hamlet, characterised as the “star shape well” in old manuscripts)
— the dip on the South East corner of the site suggests a catchment basin that could have been used as a drinking trough for the animals
— the catchment basin is connected to the ditch (only parts of it remained)